Had our first lecture and ‘scholastic’ outing today. After learning about the basics of ecology and the geography and climate of the Dominican Republic we ventured to the shore with our snorkeling gear. I got to touch some red, green, and brown algae, very exciting stuff! Most humorous were the two crabs fighting/bickering at the shoreline. As much as I enjoyed swimming around the shallow waters observing the tiny fish scatter and an enormous sea cucumber below, I got some serious anxiety having to breath through the little air thing and slightly freaked out a couple times when a little water got in because we could only stop and stand on the sand, not the rocks…but I made it.
It started sprinkling when we got out and as we were returning to our rooms, some of us made a pit stop by the pool. It soon started to rain more, which was timed perfectly because right when we got out a mini dance session was beginning under the big roof over a stage adjacent to the pool. Couldn’t resist. Guess what…lady who led water aerobics yesterday, Julie is her American name ha, also leads the dancing! She taught us – and the four slightly coordinated Russian women who just got out of the pool also – some basics of the meringue.
Melissa,
ReplyDeleteThat beach looks gorgeous. Please, please, please bring me back a glowing tan...I'm sure you'll have more than enough to share.
Have fun!!! Can't wait to see you back in the city.
-Kathleen
"Melissa does the Meringue" hahahahah..Hope your having fun! Love and miss you!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Margot
i'm glad you didn't step on the rocks
ReplyDeletethat's what they said when i went snorkeling
they said don't stand on the coral reef
my excuse is i was like 14 haha!